Please note: To apply to OSRUI for financial aid, your child must be registered for camp before you submit the OSRUI 2019 Campership Application. The application is due December 1st for those campers who are registered in September, October, or November. Please contact Susan Alexander: firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
There are a range of opportunities available to encourage families to choose a Jewish overnight camp experience at OSRUI and save money on the cost of camp.
- One Happy Camper Incentive Grants (For campers going to OSRUI for the first time for 2 or 3 weeks or more - not need based.).
- Federation Scholarships (for campers in financial need)
- OSRUI Camperships (for campers in financial need)
- Scholarships from your Congregation (this is where you should start)
The First Step
The first step is to speak to your rabbi or educator about what scholarships are available from your congregation. Some congregations offer a scholarship to every camper going to OSRUI, others only to campers in financial need.
One Happy Camper Incentive Grants
There are community grants (like the Campership Program of Chicago) and camp grants (like the Union for Reform Judaism grant).
Community Grants and Campership of Chicago. OSRUI campers living in the Chicago Metropolitan area who attend a Jewish overnight camp for the first time for 3 weeks (19 days) or more are eligible for a community grant from Campership of Chicago. This is not based on financial need. Campers who have attended OSRUI for two weeks or less in the past are still eligible for this incentive. Other communities (such as Milwaukee and Madison WI) may have similar grants. Visit www.onehappycamper.org for more information or to see if your community has a program.
Union for Reform Judaism Incentive Grants. OSRUI campers who live in an area that does not have a community campership may be eligible for a grant from the Union for Reform Judaism/OSRUI. Campers attending camp for 19 days or more (even if you attended a shorter session in 2017) may be eligible for $1000. These grant funds are provided by the OSRUI scholarship fund and are limited in number.
Campers in the Chicago metropolitan area (Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry & Will counties), may be eligible for financial aid from the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago. OSRUI will review your OSRUI scholarship forms and if we determine that you are eligible, we will send you the Federation application. Eligible campers must be entering 4th-12 grades and attending camp for 19 days (3 weeks) or longer. Campers attending Tour La'Agam and Chalutzim Ba'Aretz are not eligible for a Federation scholarship.
Campers outside of the Chicago metro area should contact their local Federation directly about scholarships based on financial need.
- OSRUI offers fee assistance to all campers in financial need, regardless of how long the session is or how many summers the child has spent with us. All applications are confidential.
- Your camper must be registered for Summer 2019 before you submit an OSRUI 2019 Campership Application. The application is due December 1st for those campers who are registered in September, October or November.
- You may not apply for a scholarship for more than 4 weeks of camp (except for Chalutzim campers). Families applying for an OSRUI Campership may submit the standard deposit ($500 per camper/per session) via check or credit card or, if necessary, they may submit a $200 deposit per camper (in place of the standard deposit) by check to the Deerfield office. We cannot confirm your registration or hold your child's spot until we receive the deposit check. If you cancel your child's registration before April 1st, there will be a $50 cancellation fee and the balance of your deposit will be refunded. When you register, just indicate you are paying the deposit via check.
- You must submit pages 1 and 2 of your 2017 U.S. Form 1040 with your application. After review of your application, your complete tax return may be requested.
For more information, contact Susan Alexander, director of our scholarship program: email@example.com 847-239-6980. Note: Families applying for an OSRUI Campership should have explored all other resources.