By Solly Kane
During this time of reflection and gratitude, I want to share a sampling of highlights, stories and initiatives from the past year at camp:
- New Kaye Center. Just in time for summer 2019 we opened a state-of-the-art center dedicated to performance, music, prayer and community. The summer we came together as one camp community in the beautiful new Kaye Center every erev Shabbat. We enjoyed Mesibah and Oconomostock; we learned in Hebrew classes, took cover on rainy days, performed in theater chugim and experienced much, much more.
- Program Changes. We made exciting programmatic changes to the daily schedule to give campers more opportunities to spend time on the activities that they most enjoy like climbing the tower, horseback riding, archery, and boating.
- Second Atid Session. Due to the overwhelming popularity of the unit for our youngest campers, this fall we opened a second session of Atid for Summer 2020. We are now able to accommodate even more kids for a first-time experience of OSRUI.
- Building Community Around Middot (Values). As a part of a new program created in partnership with our camp faculty, this summer all campers and staff were engaged in building community around four specific middot: ometz (perseverance), kavod (respect), somet lev (mindful presence), and derech eretz (community mindedness).
- Health and Wellness. With a special focus on health and wellness, this summer we opened a brand-new fitness center, completely renovated our tennis courts and offered new healthy food options for all units.
- Fall Programs for Families. This fall we shared the magic of OSRUI with hundreds of current and prospective family members in year-round initiatives including Family Camp, Mother Daughter Kallah and, new this year, Camp Days.
- Celebrating Susan Alexander. We celebrated and honored our beloved Susan Alexander and the impact of her 21-year history at OSRUI as she prepares to retire from the role of Associate Director.
- Welcoming Beth Rodin. We welcomed longtime OSRUI Alum and former NFTY Managing Director Beth Rodin as our incoming Associate Director.
- We raised and provided nearly $300,000 in camp scholarships for kids attending summer 2019.
Explore more stories in our blogs and view updates in our quarterly newsletter. As always, feel free to reach out to me at any time.
Wishing you and your loved ones a Happy Thanksgiving,